I am sorry to say that I will no longer be able to contribute to the Nightingale project.
I have not been able to work on anything for several months now, and just don’t see that changing in the near future.
I will be concentrating on my family and my day job. I will keep the domain up and the space available for people to continue on the forums and code.
Currently Matt and myself are the only people with access to the systems. If anyone needs access either of us will be able to provide it.
I can be reached at steven[dot]bengtson[at]gmail[dot]com. Please only use this if really necessary as I will ignore anything else.
I will not be watching the Forums or wiki or anything else on any sort of regular basis.
Thank you and good luck. Stevo.
I am sorry but I have not been around for a few weeks unexpectedly. An important family member passed away recently and I had to do a lot of traveling. I am back now and finally settled back into life so I can get back into the groove. What I need to do
- Get Nightingale 1.8 to build properly, this is mostly done with some minor issues on some OS’s.
- Get a feather built, we need someone to create a feather and get it inserted as the default.
- Release something!
The feather is a very important part of this so we can release something, once that is done we can progress to getting Nightingale up to date with Songbird fixes. After that we can start working on some changes, adoptions, etc to make Nightingale even better.
Thanks for all your patience once again and for not loosing faith in what this project could become!
Yup, that’s right we have been making even more progress on this app, I am now able to build with only requiring a few dependencies (mozilla/xulrunner, taglib, and sqllite) on both i686 and x86_64 systems.
I have been working on the licenses, text and images as fast as I can, removing things that are not required for us and switching over to our own feather. The only thing left we have to do before we can release an alpha is to finish the feather (which it sounds like Manko10 may be working on), I have done a little and if anyone can jump in that would be great.
Once we get an alpha ready to build and download we are going to switch focus to the web site and tools we need to support the users and application, as well as ways of getting feedback and such from users. My thoughts on this are possibly:
- Bugzilla @ bugzilla.getnightingale.com
- Wiki @ wiki.getnightingale.com
- Forums @ forums.getnightingale.com
- Addons @ addons.getnightingale.com
Let’s get this bird off the ground!
First off I would like to send out a huge thanks to all of you who are sticking through this rocky start for the project and contributing even though things are not all that clear :).
Second lets try and clear some things up.
- We have a logo now and I am working on integrating it with the project.
- There has been very little progress on a feather, I will create a thread that we can use to start planning something and get organised on it.
- The code is now able to be built on both 32 and 64 bit systems (I use Ubuntu 10.10 for this). I have stripped out the GStreamer binaries so that we build with the system libraries, flac, ogg, theora etc have also been removed and we are now down to taglib, sqlite, mozilla and xulrunner.
- Some changes have been made to the application for texting so that we don”t use Songbird anymore.
- Other changes to the application relate to removing the first run wizard.
- Here are the tools we are using:
- Self hosted blog [Habari]
- Self hosted Forums [MyBB]
- Svn hosted on sourceforge (we will probably eventually change to git but until we release we will stay with svn)
- Self hosted bugzilla at http://bugs.getnightingale.com/
- Wiki hosted on sourceforge (we will move this to self hosted soon).
Our next steps are only the following:
- Ensure all licenses and text are changed as required (remove Songbird)
- Create a new default feather and remove PurpleRain.
- Update all logos with new Nightingale Logo (Copper style).
Also a big thank you to all of you who have donated to this project we have made $50USD in donations and that goes towards the $110USD to host our project.
I am very sorry for the big delay in communication, I have been very busy over the holidays with my life and was not able to spend the time I wished on this project.
I am back to having time so I will start communicating better and get things rolling as quickly as I can.
For now here is where we are at:
- Logo as you may know we have selected a logo for Nightingale. Thanks Downward!
a. I will need to get the finished logo from Downward and start integrating it into the code, I will post a blog entry when I do get it.
- The code is slowly getting imported into our repository, we are using Songbird version 1.8 with only a couple minor changes. a, b, and c are requirements due to licenses.
a. All instances of the word Songbird will be changed to Nightingale, except where required by licenses.
b. All Songbird logos and images will be replaced with Nightingale logos and images.
c. A simple default feather will be implemented and the Songbird PurpleRain will be removed.
d. The build will not use built in gstreamer, it will instead be built with the system gstreamer.
- We have set up most of the web site.
a. SVN is hosted on sourceforge at [https://ngale.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ngale]
b. Bug Tracking will be on sourceforge at [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=323346&atid=1358430]
c. Wiki will be on sourceforge at [http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/ngale/index.php?title=Main_Page]
d. Forums will be self hosted at [http://getnightingale.org/forum] (or .com or .net)
e. Blog will be self hosted at [http://getnightingale.org/] (or .com or .net)
I will start communicating better by posting regular blog posts on progress and updating the wiki with information on how to build nightingale.
Thanks again for sticking with us and hopefully we will be posting our first build soon!